Saturday, October 16, 2010

What I Told the Salt Lake Tribune Yesterday

The Salt Lake Tribune sent me some questions. Here are two of them, with my answers.

Tribune: Why are you running for the Alpine Board of Education?

Tim: I originally ran to promote better communication between the schools and the people, to whom the public school system belongs, and to work to replace the district's ineffective math curriculum. We've made some progress on both fronts, but there's plenty left to do. I'm running for reelection because I want to keep working on these things and more, and because I'm very fond of the teachers, students, parents, and others in the district who do so well and who care so much about education.

Tribune: If elected, what is the first thing you would like to accomplish/ or change about the district?

Tim: I want to raise the level and the expectations of philosophical discussion among the school board and the people generally. That's a good job for the people's elected representatives on the board. If we can simply bring the school district's official mission, values, and goals in line with the community's values, instead of trying to live with and adjust and apologize for someone else's values which don't fit us very well, we can avoid some major battles and a lot of frustration and hostility. Then we can redirect a lot of energy to other things that help the students and teachers in our schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment